Company Spotlight: Activist Skincare
In this Company Spotlight, we learn about Activist Skincare – a sustainable skincare brand making vegan, cruelty-free, and ethically made products in Los Angeles. Discover their brand story, ingredients, packaging, and why we love them!
November 7, 2023
Activist Skincare: your skin’s best advocate. High performance ingredients meet refillable packaging with this sustainable skincare brand. Their products are vegan, cruelty-free, and ethically made in Los Angeles.
Ready to learn more? In this blog, we dive into Activist Skincare’s brand story, ingredients, eco-friendly packaging, and why we love them.
Activist Skincare Brand Story
Actives + advocacy = activist. Activist Skincare pairs active ingredients with advocating for change.
Activist Skincare is a brand born out of a desire for change. Founded by Allison Callaway, a working mom and environmentalist, Activist combines her passion for the planet and fascination with skincare.
From the beginning, Activist Skincare was on a mission to challenge the conventional beauty industry. Allison believes that skincare products should be as pure as possible, without sacrificing effectiveness.
The result? Unique, environmentally friendly skincare solutions that have garnered a loyal following.
Refillable Skincare System
Gone are the days where your bathroom is filled with single use plastic packaging. Activist Skincare prioritizes glass product packaging whenever possible – then lets you order refills to fill it up again and again.
Here’s how it works:
- Order your favorite Activist products and use them daily. When you run out, save the container.
- Order a refill pouch (and get 10% off your order!)
- Squeeze the refill pouch into your original container. It’s that simple!
Refill pouches generate 99% less carbon dioxide emissions and use 75% less plastic waste than recycled glass containers by reducing both shipping weight and distance traveled.
It takes a huge amount of energy to recycle and remanufacture glass when it’s treated like a single-use container (as it is for most personal care products!)
By offering a refill system, they’re able to give you the most sustainable option on the market.
Then they ship it straight to your door in a post-consumer recycled content box with paper based tape and paper based filler. No bubble wrap, no plastic tape, and no unnecessary waste.
Mindful Ingredients and Thoughtful Manufacturing
At the heart of Activist Skincare is their commitment to clean and effective products. They understand that what goes on your skin is just as important as what goes in your body.
Their range of products is free from harmful chemicals, toxins, and synthetic fragrances, making them suitable for even the most sensitive skin types. Plus they’re vegan and cruelty free!
Activist Skincare believes in transparency. They disclose the sourcing origins of their ingredients and their production processes, allowing customers to make informed choices.
Plus, when sourcing their ingredients and selecting their partners and vendors, they prioritize women and people of color.
Here’s where just a few of their ingredients come from:
- Organic floral waters from small regenerative growers in the Pacific Northwest
- Cucumber and calendula hydrosols are organically grown by small farmers and distilled by a zero waste certified business in Oregon
- Lavender hydrosol is made from lavender flowers cultivated in organically certified fields in Washington and extracted in an on-site distillery
- Purified active ingredients come from a cruelty-free lab in Arizona owned and operated by a female scientist
They transform these ingredients into something special. Activist Skincare lovingly handcrafts their products in small batches in their studio-lab in Southern California.
Certifications and Partnerships
When you support Activist, you support a whole network of nonprofits and causes dedicated to making the world a better place. As a member of 1% for the Planet, they’ve committed 1% of their revenue to environmental advocacy.
Throughout the years, they’ve allocated that donation to some awesome causes. Here’s a few of their nonprofit partners:
- Earthjustice: Earthjustice is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the environment and advocating for legal solutions to address environmental challenges. They work to safeguard natural resources, combat climate change, and promote environmental justice through litigation and advocacy efforts.
- Outdoor Afro: this nonprofit organization aims to connect Black people to the outdoors and promote nature-based experiences. They focus on building a diverse and inclusive outdoor community, fostering leadership, and increasing access to outdoor activities for Black individuals and communities across the United States.
- Rainforest Trust: this group is dedicated to the protection and preservation of threatened tropical rainforests and other vital habitats around the world. They partner with local conservation organizations and communities to purchase and safeguard critical lands, thereby preventing deforestation and ensuring the long-term survival of endangered species and ecological diversity.
- Communities for a Better Environment: this nonprofit organization advances environmental justice and sustainability by addressing the unique challenges faced by Black communities in California.
- Environmental Defense Fund: EDF works to combat climate change, protect ecosystems, and promote sustainable practices by collaborating with businesses, governments, and other stakeholders to drive positive environmental change.
Together with these partners, Activist Skincare has created meaningful impact over the years. And your purchase helps make it possible.
Build Your Activist Skincare Routine
Cleanse, hydrate, treat, moisturize. Activist has designed their skincare to follow a simple 4 step routine – then customize their formulas for your skins specific needs.
Whether you’re dealing with acne, dryness, sensitivity, or simply looking to maintain healthy skin, they have a solution for you.
- Step 1: Deep Moisture Cleansing Balm | An ultra-rich cleanser made from a luxurious blend of natural oils, shea butter, and botanical extracts that gently removes makeup, dirt, and impurities without stripping your skin’s natural moisture.
- Step 2: Healing Water Toning Mist | This toner is a hydration powerhouse. Packed with licorice root and vitamin B, it quenches your skin’s thirst, leaving it plump and radiant.
- Step 3: Vitamin C+ Antioxidant Serum | Brighten your complexion with a radiance-boosting serum that reduces the appearance of fine lines and dark spots while protecting your skin from environmental stressors.
- Step 4: Precious Oils Active Infusion | A silky face oil that nourishes and protects all skin types – while leaving you a dewy finish.
- Step 5: Tinted Zinc Mineral Sunscreen Cream | This reef-safe sunscreen uses non-nano zinc to protect your skin while adding a touch of coverage.
Activist Skincare on Karma Wallet
Safe for our bodies, safe for our ecosystem. Activist’s proven actives and organic botanicals create visible results on your skin – with no harmful chemicals.
From their ingredients and product packaging to their charitable giveback, they go the extra mile to be better for people and planet.
We’re proud to announce that Activist Collective is now a member of the Karma Collective, a network of ethical brands giving exclusive rewards to our community. With the Karma Wallet Card, launching January 2024, you’ll be able to get cashback rewards on Activist Skincare you won’t find anywhere else.
In the meantime, explore all Activist products below!